9 Replies to “Contest #608”

  1. Liberty State Park, old Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal Ferry Docks and Empty Sky Memorial
    40°42’25.67″ N 74°02’06.88″ W

  2. Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal
    The Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal, also known as Communipaw Terminal and and Jersey City Terminal.
    The terminal is part of Liberty State Park.

    40°42′26″N 74°2′7″W

  3. Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal, Jersey City, New Jersey, USA. Coordinates 40.707451°, -74.036912°.

  4. Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal, New Jersey, USA
    40°42’26.86″N 74° 2’11.94″W

  5. This week we have to find the Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal, also known as Communipaw Terminal and Jersey City Terminal, that is the Central Railroad of New Jersey’s waterfront passenger terminal in Jersey City, New Jersey. It was also serviced by CNJ-operated Reading Railroad trains, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, and the Lehigh Valley Railroad during various periods in its 78 years of operation. The terminal was built in 1889, replacing an earlier one that had been in use since 1864. The terminal was one of five passenger railroad terminals that lined the Hudson Waterfront during the 19th and 20th centuries, the others being Weehawken, Hoboken, Pavonia and Exchange Place, with Hoboken being the only station that is still in use. It operated until April 30, 1967. The headhouse was renovated and incorporated into Liberty State Park. The station has been listed on the New Jersey Register of Historic Places and National Register of Historic Places since September 12, 1975. Additionally it is a New Jersey State Historic Site. The outdoor clock at CNJ Terminal The concourse at Communipaw Terminal
    The terminal is part of Liberty State Park, and along with nearby Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty recalls the era of massive immigration through the Port of New York and New Jersey. It is estimated that around 10.5 million entered the country through the station. The area has long been known as Communipaw, which in the Lenape language means big landing place at the side of a river.[8] The first stop west of the station was indeed called Communipaw, and was not far from the village that had been established there in 1634 as part of the New Netherland settlement of Pavonia. The land on which the extensive yards were built was reclaimed, or filled. The terminal itself is next to the Morris Canal Big Basin, which to some degree was made obsolete by the railroads which replaced it. The long cobbled road which ends at the terminal (once called Johnston Avenue for a president of CNJ) is named Audrey Zapp Drive, after the environmentalist active in the creation of the park. The main building is designed in a Richardsonian Romanesque style. The intermodal facility contains more than a dozen platforms and several ferry slips. Arriving passengers would walk to the railhead concourse and could either pass through its main waiting room, by-pass it on either side, and take stairs to the upper level. The ferry slips have also been restored though the structure which housed them has been removed, as have the tracks. The Bush-type trainsheds, the largest ever to be constructed and designed by A. Lincoln Bush, were not part of the original construction, but were built in 1914 and have not been restored. The abandoned shed covered 12 platforms and 20 tracks. Coordinates 40°42′26″N 74°2′7″W. I’VE NEVER BEEN THERE, YET !

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *