Continuing on with the theme of lighthouses this round, we visit Cape St. Elias and Pinnacle Rock on Kayak Island in the Gulf of Alaska.
This lighthouse was built in 1913-16 but automated in 1974. For more information on this lighthouse, visit http://www.kayakisland.org.
The other item of interest in the image is Pinnacle Rock. This 200 meter tall rock blocks the sound from the lighthouse requiring a unique double trumpet to send the foghorn out on both sides of Pinnacle Rock.
The original location for the light was at the south end of Pinnacle Rock but due to the steepness, the lighthouse was constructed in its current location.
Not fog, nor rain or anything else stopped these players from locating this lighthouse, all before the hint:
Info from http://www.kalapakibeach.org/about/the-nawiliwili-lighthous
In 1897, the Republic of Hawaii obtained a lease from Lihue Plantation Co. on Ninini Point in Nawiliwili as the site for the construction of a wooden, 40-foot tall, trestle-frame light tower with a little lamp room set atop it, painted white.
In 1906, the original light tower was replaced with a 33-1/2 foot tall, white, wooden mast with a new lamp. At its base, a modest house painted white with lead-colored trimmings and a red roof was built. Both mast and house were rebuilt in 1923 and repaired in 1926.
In 1933 a new house was built for Kua with three bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen and bathroom, with outbuildings close by, and the 86-foot tall cylindrical concrete lighthouse presently at Ninini Point was also built. This light house was automated in 1953.
The hint was a picture taken from a video of a plane landing at Lihue Airport, just north of the lighthouse. (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=amTpIqtY8rc)
Most lighthouses are tall so that they get the light out as far as possible. There are a few exceptions that sit on cliffs, and when you add the height of the lighthouse to the height of the cliff, you get the “focal height”.
Ponta do Pargo is small, only slightly more than 14M. But it has a focal height of 316M, making it quite a bit more visible than even the tallest lighthouses out there. On a clear night, Ponta do Pargo can be seen 26 Nautical Miles from shore.
Storozhenskiy is among the tallest “traditional” lighthouses in the world. Built in 1911, this sits on the eastern side of Lake Lagoda. During the WW2 Siege of Leningrad (now St. Petersburg), Soviet forces held a portion of the western shore of the lake, and this became one of the only ways to get supplies into the city during the 4 years of the siege.
The lighthouse is accessable and, by contacting the operator, you can take these stairs to the top.
On a late May day in 1431, the French Catholic soldier Jeanne d’Arc, or Joan of Arc, was burned at the stake by the British in the town of Rouen, France.
She had been a wildly successful soldier and leader for the French in the Hundred Years’ War, even though she was only 17 when she started fighting. But in May of 1430, she was captured and turned over to the British.
She was accused of heresy and cross-dressing (for wearing military clothing), which, combined, gave the British bishop all he needed to order her death.
Of course, by then, the tables had turned and the French ended up winning the war. The French considered her a hero, an example of virtue and bravery. Nearly 500 years after her death, she was canonized as St. Joan in 1920 by Pope Benedict XV.
As the water rushes in as at high tide and out at low tide, the effect, best viewed from a low flying plane, across the breaks in the rocks creates the illusion of a waterfall, only instead of falling from height, it moves horizontally.
Those who found this location before the hint were:
And after the hint:
Which ends yet another series! Congratulations to the winners of this round all with perfect scores: Eloy Cano, Garfield and Lighthouse.
This started out as one contest, but one of our regular contestants quickly turned it into another one.
Etgar Keret is an Israeli author and screenwriter. Among his works are the screenplay for “Wristcutters: A Love Story”. In 2012, he was invited to reside in a special house — a work of art by the architect Jakub Szczęsny — the narrowest house in the world.
The structure is 2 stories high with a total of just over 4 square meters of floor space.
All good — the reveal was written and queued up, ready to go, then we got Phil Ower’s comment who pointed out that this was also the location of one of the Warsaw Ghetto Boundary memorial markers. Specifically, the location of a wooden bridge (The Bridge of Sighs) which connected the large and small ghettos and became a strong physical icon of the Holocaust.
There was no way we were going to declare Phil wrong, given the importance and power of this find, especially when he was completely right. So everyone who gave either answer was given credit.
Those who squeezed in a correct answer before the hint were:
The atomic bombs used on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were huge compared to other ordinances of the time. For this reason, and for secrecy reasons, the bombs had to be loaded in the airplanes differently. The video below (starting at 2:26) shows the process. First, the bombs were loaded onto special hydraulic lifts in these pits, then the planes were towed over the pits with the bomb bay doors open. Once in place, the hydraulics would lift the bombs into the bay and attach them to the releases.
After the war, the pits were filled for safety. The airfield, which had become the largest airport in the world during the war, fell into disuse and was swallowed up by the jungle. In 2004, for the 60th anniversary of the battles of Saipan and Tinian, the bomb pits were reopened and covered by glass and steel covers with displays and plaques.